Mother’s Day Ice Cream Cake Decorating Tutorial
It’s easier than you might expect to create this stunning OREO Ice Cream Cake for Mother’s Day. Use our product locator to find an ice cream cake for delivery or pick up, then follow this tutorial from Life Love and Sugar to make this Mother’s Day special.
- • 3 cups (720ml) heavy whipping cream, cold
- • 1 1/2 cups (173g) powdered sugar
- • 2 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- • Pink gel icing
- • Green gel icing
White Chocolate Ganache
- • 6 oz (1 cup) white chocolate chips
- • 1/4 cup (60ml) heavy whipping cream
- • Ateco 844 or Wilton 2D piping tip
- • Wilton 352 piping tip
- • Piping bags
- • Offset spatula
- • Turntable
- • Squeeze bottle or piping bag with small round piping tip
1. Add the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixing bowl fitted with the whisk attachment and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
2. Place the first ice cream cake on a cardboard cake circle or serving platter. Spread some whipped cream, about 1/2 cup, on top of the ice cream cake to create an even layer. Place the second ice cream cake on top of the whipped cream. Place the ice cream cake in the freezer.
3. Set about 1/4 cup of whipped cream in another bowl and color with green gel icing color. Place in the fridge until ready to use. Color the remaining frosting with the pink gel icing color.
4. Frost the outside of the cake with the pink whipped cream, starting with a crumb coat to seal in the crumbs on the outside of the ice cream cake. Place the cake back in the freezer.
5. Make the white chocolate ganache. Place the white chocolate chips in a medium sized bowl. Heat the cream in the microwave until it begins to boil, then pour the cream over the white chocolate. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes, then whisk until smooth. If the white chocolate doesn’t melt completely, heat in the microwave for 10-second increments, stirring between, until smooth.
6. Place the ganache into a squeeze bottle, piping bag with small round tip, or a ziplock bag with a corner cut off. Remove the cake from the freezer and drizzle the ganache around the edge of the cake.
Pour the remaining ganache into the center of the cake and quickly spread it out to the edges to cover the top of the cake. Place cake back in the freezer.
7. Set about 1/3 of the remaining pink whipped cream into another bowl and add a little more pink gel icing color to get a slightly darker shade of pink. Use the light pink whipped cream and a piping bag fitted with Ateco tip 844 or Wilton 2D piping tip to make an initial circle of roses around the edge of the cake. Use the darker pink whipped cream to add a few smaller roses.
8. Use the green whipped cream and a piping bag fitted with the Wilton 352 piping tip to pipe the leaves around the flowers.
9. Place the cake back into the freezer until ready to serve.
10. Enjoy your beautiful creation!
Want to create this gorgeous cake? Download a coupon for OREO Ice Cream Cake here.